Mosquito Barrier is Canada’s Premier Mosquito Repellent for Grassy Areas: Yards, Parks, Athletic Fields, Cottages and Golf Courses.
Just one spraying of all natural, liquid garlic juice-based Mosquito Barrier will keep mosquitoes out of your yard and away from your home and family, 24 hours a day for nearly a month.
Mosquitoes can’t tolerate garlic – that’s why there are no mosquitoes in a garlic field!
How it works: When you initially spray Mosquito Barrier it repels the mosquitoes. It is applied to the leaf surface of grass, ornamentals and lower leaves of the trees. The natural sulfur contained in garlic juice repels mosquitoes from the area by this juice. It also prevents entry of any neighbouring mosquitoes that may consider wandering in from next door.
Within minutes the Mosquito Barrier is odourless to humans, but not to the insects. A mosquito’s sense of smell is about 10,000 times better than humans and the mosquitoes are able to locate humans because they detect the carbon dioxide given off by us. Mosquito Barrier masks the carbon dioxide odour while also triggering a defence warning to them that this is not a good area to be in. If they can’t find you, they can’t bite you and they fly elsewhere.
Unique Features and Benefits
- Odourless in hours.
- Made from non-GMO garlic.
- Not harmful to the environment.
- Garlic used is grown right here in North America.
Easy to use: Mosquito Barrier is a very strong liquid garlic made from potent garlic cloves. The garlic used in Mosquito Barrier is a powerful variety which is much more potent than the garlic found in grocery stores (in fact, our lab people refer to it as “super garlic”). Garlic has a natural sulfur which repels mosquitoes. Spraying garlic to keep insects away is not something new, farmers and master gardeners have been doing it for many generations. Now you can use this as well.
Simple as 1, 2, 3.
- Shake the bottle of Mosquito Barrier.
- Dilute with water.
- Spray your grass, shrubs, gardens and trees well.
Below are some additional tips that we’ve found make Mosquito Barrier work best:
- Get rid of all standing water, even the smallest amounts. Drain everything from flower pot saucers to eaves troughs. Spray 24 hours after rain and 48 hours before it is forecast to rain again. Turn off sprinkler systems, ideally for 48 hours after spraying. Cut the grass beforehand. Clean up organic debris in the area as well. Keep gutters in good repair.
- Shake the entire mixture very well (if you have a lot of standing water or very ‘hard’ water we recommend:
Dilute by mixing 30 ml of Mosquito Barrier per litre of water; add an equal amount of vegetable oil (canola or corn oil) and a little unscented dish soap, about 15 ml, to make everything blend. If adding soap and oil be very careful not to overspray onto non-porous surfaces as they may become slippery until dry.
- Spray: Start spraying from the house and work away from the house. When spraying grass with the wand on the end of your pump-up canister type sprayer, hold the wand nozzle about 20 cm/ 8” above the grass and sweep it back and forth. Make sure the spray gets deep into the grass and get the grass wet. Use a small spray droplet size, a fine to medium size mist (not large droplets or a very fine mist). Back pack sprayers are more practical for areas 1/4 of an acre or more. Mechanical sprayers are recommended for large areas.
- Spray all grass, shrubs and plants not just the perimeter of the property. Be sure to include shady places such as under porches/decks, in vents leading to basement or beneath the house, even spray sides of house, porches, driveways and areas that are not covered with grass, spray mud and into trees up to about 3-4 meters. Spray the shorelines of creeks or ponds (mosquitoes also breed in mud). Take note of extra mosquito activity when spraying certain areas. These areas need to be checked out and dealt with. Best spraying time is early morning or late in the afternoon 1 hour before sundown as there is less wind at this time and the sun is not at its highest peak.
Important: Spray the bottom of foliage/leaves well as complete coverage is best. Insects love the bottom side of leaves as this is normally cooler and easier to penetrate for the plant’s juices. Start spraying from the house and spray to the outside of your property.
Note: Spraying wood siding/decking may cause odour to last longer than a couple of hours.
- Use at least a 3-4% solution of the garlic (meaning at least 30-40 ml of Mosquito Barrier per litre of water). You may use more. Many of our professional spray people use 40 to 60 ml of garlic per litre of water. This does not harm plants or animals and works even better. If infestation exists, double up the amount of Mosquito Barrier. A second application may also be needed but it is important to wait at least 4-5 days before reapplying as the plant can only absorb so much.
Hard water may cause clogging. If you have hard water, try adding an ounce of liquid dish soap (non-detergent/non-scented) to each gallon of water to help emulsify the mixture.
For overnight cleaning we suggest using mild soapy water.
Leaving excess product in the tank overnight after dilution is not recommended.
Do not store in sunlight and do not let product freeze.
Mosquito Barrier can last for years if not used in the season you purchase it.
IMPORTANT: It is important that a minimum of 8 ounces/240 ml of Mosquito Barrier be applied to each 6,000 sq. ft. of yard (average city lot).
If you still have some spray material left over after spraying your yard, continuing your spraying until your mixture is completely used up.